What is Keyword Density?
Keyword density is simply the algorithm that is used by major search engine to rank its pages in the search list. It is the number of times a keyword is repeated in the content in ratio to all the remaining words in an article.
Formula to calculate keyword Density
Number of times a keyword is repeated in an article / Total number of words on an article or post * 100.
Many webmasters create a page having higher keyword density but if it exceeds to more than 5% then it would most it likely will go down in contrary to soar up.keyword density in search engine rankings
If you want your website to rank better in the search results than the thing you have to work on most is the keyword density. Do not create content having no content really but page filled with keywords otherwise it will result in penalizing of your site by Google. Suppose a particular post have 1500 word and the keywords have just appear just once than it will have very low keyword density than if a keyword have appeared 5 times in your post.
The formula for calculating this keyword density is generally applied to Google and the other search engines do not have their algorithm based ion keywords. Note that it is not the only factor but it is one of the major factors of getting your page ranked in search engines.
How to Boost Your Search Engine Ranking through Proper Use of Keywords
How to improve it in your website?
1. While writing a content, first you have to think what a surfer will most likely to use terms while searching for a thing that your websites offers. If a person is learning on SEO he will probably search with terms like “How to improve my website ranking”, “Getting indexed”, “and Improve Alexa”, “Page Ranking”, “Domain Authority and Page Authority”, etc.
2. When you have figure out all the possible keywords do not just put them together again and again without making any sense. There are web pages which are filled with worthless content but bundled with keywords to affect the search engine listings and get ranked higher in search engines. It will not work as sooner or later search engine are going to make it out.
3. What you can do is make sentences that utilize these keywords. You might be able to write well but in order to succeed online you have to change your habits. Good writers have habits not to repeat words they use in an article but you have to repeat some sentences or phrase that would user searches for. If you are thinking that it would not be good to read if you keep repeating something, than use “it”, “this” or “like”. By doing this you will make more appropriate and high keyword density in your post.
4. Earlier webmasters use keywords and keep their articles short by use keywords only and it would be working but now they have changed the algorithm completely and it is not possible to trick search engines. So, you should have more content as well as the ratio of keyword must be somewhat 2-3% to your total length of article.
Things that affect Keyword Density
You have to calculate keyword density once you have chosen the keywords and then start writing your post.
1. Description in meta description
2. The Title of your Post
3. Headings you use in h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 tags. Note that use h1 only for the title of your post. Having only one h1 tag will strengthen your SEO.
4. The Introduction paragraph of your post matters the most.
5. There should be in link text means there some internal linking on your page.
Precautions to be taken while choosing keywords
The most essential thing is that your article should be readable and it does not sound meaningless just to boost density. If you have visitors and they find it annoying they will not dawdle for long. If your spectators do not seek you post repetitive than you have use them very few times but no matter what try to target it to at least two to four percent. Some say that it should not be greater than 7%, some say 5% but you should use them not less than 2% and not more than 5.7% in what I have researched.
The meta description plays the important role and according to guidelines it should be between 70-160 characters. If you vary your description too much from what they have defined than it will affect your listing largely in the search engine.
Other factors that affect Keyword Density
Other thinks that affect these are text in italic, bold and headings are marked key factors by search engines. So, you should optimize your keywords but if you keep on highlighting the text unnecessarily then you could get punished by search engine as they can drop you page rank.
If you want a word to get repeated try to use synonyms of these words. By doing this it would lower down the density for a particular keyword and increase the other density for another keyword. You would get benefited in both the cases.
If you are using WordPress then there is an All in One SEO plugin that you can use. You can add meta keywords, meta description and title. All you have to do is edit or add relevant meta tags to boost your ranking.
If you have coded your website by yourself then add meta tags of description and keywords. Keywords use in Meta tags are generally ignored by search engines but meta tags of description and title matters the most.
Another thing that counts is that your post should at least contain 300 words and if you ask experts they would say at least 500 words. Higher the content on a page, higher the SEO, more chances of getting ranked first.
Your website should be updated on a regular basis. If you will not update your website for too long then your search engine ranking will fall. So, try to add a new post in every 2-3 days if you cannot do it on a regular basis.
You should use analyzer to measure keyword density. This will give you complete information of the keywords and you would be able to calculate density.
When I build this website the most important thing I was missing out is density. When I make the changes my ranking changes dramatically and I was completely oblivious to this fact but I have been benefited by what I came to know so you should also keep this thing in mind.